EU Nationals

Insurance obligation

Students are required to have a valid health and accident insurance for the duration of their study. Lack thereof may put one to the expense of any and all incurred medical costs.

Students from EU member states should be insured in their home countries and bring a European Health Insurance Card which entitles them to the same health services as Polish nationals.

If a student is not entitled to insurance in their home country, they can apply for insurance coverage from the university. For more information on the matter, please visit the „Insurance coverage via the University” section. 

Scope of insurance coverage

All European students holding the European Health Insurance Card (EHIC) are entitled to:

Access to health care during a temporary stay in Poland

If you are entitled to health care under EEA rules on coordination of social security systems, during a temporary stay in Poland you are entitled to receive free health care services from health care providers who have concluded contracts for health services with the National Health Fund (NFZ). The information about health care providers who have concluded contracts with the NFZ is available in the competent regional branch offices of the NFZ. Facilities of these health care providers are marked with the logo of the NFZ:

  • How do you get treatment by a general practitioner?

Go to a doctor who has a contract with the NFZ and show your European Health Insurance Card (EHIC) or a replacement certificate. Primary health care comprises examination and consultation by a general practitioner. A doctor may also refer you to diagnostic tests, to a specialist or to a hospital. Dispensaries are open from Monday to Friday, from 8 a.m. to 6 p.m. After 6 p.m. on workdays, as well as on Saturdays, Sundays and on holidays 24-hour-care is provided by health units which have concluded contracts for this kind of services. They comprise out-patient care and home visits in case a patient’s condition is serious. Addresses and telephone numbers of health units providing 24-hour-care are available in health care dispensaries.

  • How do you get treatment by a specialist?

You need a referral from a doctor who practices within the health care system. No referral is required for the following specialists:

  • obstetrician,
  • dentist,
  • dermatologist,
  • venereologist,
  • oncologist,
  • eye specialist
  • psychiatrist,

and for the following persons:

  • suffering from tuberculosis,
  • infected with HIV,
  • war invalids and persecuted persons,
  • addicted to alcohol, stupefacients, and psychoactive substances – in the case of addiction treatment.

Also in case of a sudden illness, accident, injury, intoxication or life threat you will receive necessary medical benefits without a referral. Go to a doctor who has a contract with the NFZ and show your European Health Insurance Card (EHIC) or a replacement certificate.

  • How do you get treatment by a dentist?

Go to a dentist who has a contract with the NFZ and show your European Health Insurance Card (EHIC) or a replacement certificate. Free dental services are available only in the restricted scope set out in the Regulation of the Minister of Health of 24 November 2004 (Official Journal 04.261.2601). A list of free services and materials is available in the dentist surgery. You will have to cover costs of over standard services and materials on your own.

  • How do you get hospital treatment?

You need a doctor’s referral. In case of a sudden illness, accident, injury, intoxication or life threat you will receive necessary medical benefits without a referral. Go to a hospital which has a contract with the NFZ and show your European Health Insurance Card (EHIC) or a replacement certificate. When hospitalized, operations, diagnostic tests, and medicines are provided free of charge.
How do you get transportation to a hospital?
In case of an accident, injury, childbirth, sudden illness or sudden deterioration of the state of health, call an ambulance (by dialling 999 or 112) or go directly to a hospital, in particular to an accident and emergency department (SOR). Ambulance transport in such cases is free of charge. Show your European Health Insurance Card (EHIC) or a replacement certificate.
How do you get medicines?
A prescription can be issued by a doctor who practices within the health care system or a doctor who does not practice within this system but has concluded a contract with the Fund authorizing him to issue prescriptions. Show your prescription and your European Health Insurance Card (EHIC) or a replacement certificate in a pharmacy.

Prescribed medicines can be purchased:

  • for a lump-sum price (in the case of basic medicines – 3,20 zł and in the case of magistral preparations – 5 zł);
  • for 30 or 50% of the price of medicine (in the case of supplementary medicines);
  • for a full price – in the case of medicines which are not included in the reimbursed drugs list.
  • Receiving free health care services on the basis of E 112 form.

After agreeing with the Polish healthcare provider about conditions and terms of benefit awarding, there is a need to submit a copy of E112 forms in a competent regional branch of NFZ depending on the seat of the healthcare provider.

  • Polish institutions involved in the coordination of social security systems in the field of health benefits in kind
  1. Competent authority – The Minister of Health
  2. Liaison body – the Central Office of the National Health Fund
  3. Competent institution/ institution of the place of residence/ the place of stay – the National Health Fund acting through its regional branches.
  • Details of the liaison body

Centrala Narodowego Funduszu Zdrowia – Departament Współpracy Międzynarodowej (Central Office of the National Health Fund – The Department of International Affairs)
ul. Grójecka 186
02-390 Warszawa
tel. +48 (22) 572 62 68
fax +48 (22) 572 63 19

  • Details of the competent institutions/ institutions of the place of residence/the place of stay
  1. Dolnośląski Oddział Wojewódzki NFZ
    ul. Joannitów 6
    50-252 Wrocław, tel. (71) 79 79 131; fax (71) 79 79 129, e-mail:
  2. Kujawsko-Pomorski Oddział Wojewódzki NFZ
    ul. Mickiewicza 15
    85-071 Bydgoszcz, tel. (52) 325 27 04; fax (52) 325 28 68, e-mail:
  3. Lubelski Oddział Wojewódzki NFZ
    ul. Szkolna 16
    20-124 Lublin, tel. (81) 748 36 57 wew. 173; fax (81) 748 36 57 wew. 165, e-mail:
  4. Lubuski Oddział Wojewódzki NFZ
    ul. Podgórna 9B
    65-057 Zielona Góra, tel. (68) 328 77 77; fax (68) 328 77 53, e-mail:
  5. Łódzki Oddział Wojewódzki NFZ
    ul. Kopcińskiego 58
    90-032 Łódź, tel. (42) 677 49 40; fax (42) 677 49 12, e-mail:
  6. Małopolski Oddział Wojewódzki NFZ
    ul. Ciemna 6
    31-053 Kraków, tel. (12) 29 88 386; fax (12) 29 88 318, e-mail:
  7. Mazowiecki Oddział Wojewódzki NFZ
    ul. Chałubińskiego 8
    00-613 Warszawa, tel. (22) 582 84 40, e-mail:
  8. Opolski Oddział Wojewódzki NFZ
    ul. Głogowska 37
    43-315 Opole, tel.(77) 402 01 02; fax (77) 402 01 01, e-mail:
  9. Podkarpacki Oddział Wojewódzki NFZ
    ul. Zamkowa 8
    35-032 Rzeszów, tel. (17) 860 41 02; fax (17) 860 42 28, e-mail:
  10. Podlaski Oddział Wojewódzki NFZ
    ul. Pałacowa 3
    15-042 Białystok, tel. (85) 745 95 31, fax (85) 745 95 39, e-mail:
  11. Pomorski Oddział Wojewódzki NFZ
    ul. Podwale Staromiejskie 69
    80-844 Gdańsk, tel. (58) 321 86 26, fax (58) 321 85 15, e-mail:
  12. Śląski Oddział Wojewódzki NFZ
    ul. Kossutha 13
    40-844 Katowice, tel. (32) 735 19 00, fax (32) 735 17 29, e-mail:
  13. Świętokrzyski Oddział Wojewódzki NFZ
    ul. Jana Pawła II 9
    25-025 Kielce, tel. (41) 36 46 100; fax (41) 34 30 490, e-mail:
  14. Warmińsko-Mazurski Oddział Wojewódzki NFZ
    ul. Żołnierska 16
    10-561 Olsztyn, tel.(89) 539 19 27, fax (89) 533 96 70, e-mail:
  15. Wielkopolski Oddział Wojewódzki NFZ
    ul. Grunwaldzka 158
    60-309 Poznań, tel. (61) 850 61 37, fax (61) 850 61 02, e-mail:
  16. Zachodniopomorski Oddział Wojewódzki NFZ
    ul. Arkońska 45
    71-470 Szczecin, tel. (91) 425 10 00, fax (91) 425 11 88, e-mail:

University-provided Health Insurance for EU citizens

If an EU citizen does not hold valid health insurance coverage in the country of which they are citizens, they are eligible for a health insurance coverage provided by the University. To apply for the health insurance from the University, the student must submit to the School Office a declaration (along with an explanation why) that they do not hold health insurance in their home country, and fill out a form (available in the School Office). Upon completing those two requirements, the student will be registered with Narodowy Fundusz Zdrowia (NFZ; National Health Fund).